Wednesday, April 01, 2009

1 / 30 : hoop dreams.

day one. im excited! 
check out nasty nate marshall's blog here.
also, wanna see more 30/30 poems? Holla!

hoop dreams

i woke up this morning
to ESPNEWS headlines blaring about
Beale Street Blues and
a Bluegrass Dynasty
and I see Mr. John
in a blue shirt with a different logo
talking about this new job
and his dream coming true

and i know that memphians are
pissed 
hoping that this is an april fools joke
praying that
the king of memphis has not
abandoned his throne

but what fans will never understand
is the fact that coaches
like mr. john
like my daddy
have dreams too
and in this world
and this lifestyle they have chosen
there are no hurt feelings
its just business

but thinking about mr. john's kids
who i've grown up with
who have to move again
for the umpteenth time
like me and my brother
being dragged around from state to state
because of daddy's dreams
was something i didn't understand
when i was 3
when i was 4
when i was 10
when i was 12
when i was 15

but now im 6 years wiser
and im watching the tv screen
as mr. john who i've known
as long as i can remember
close a chapter and embark
on a dream 
i couldn't be any prouder

to dare to dream
in the public arena is 
the most courageous act
a man can do 
and years ago when i was 13
sobbing on my bed with
moving boxes all around me
i couldn't understand
and i couldn't see
that i should step back
dry my tears
show my support
and allow my dad
the chance to dream

No comments: