Thursday, August 20, 2009

30 / 30 : ecclesiastes 9:11.

last poem of the month.
it's been crazy, crazy crazy.
thank you for reading. ive enjoyed the criticism and encouragement.
start your own. keep writing. and reading.
everyone's a poet.

ecclesiastes 9:11

i woke up this morning 
for the first time in four months
without my mother down the hall
to the sound of an incoming message
to my phone

i lazily rolled over 
in my freshly washed linen
in my freshly cleaned room
to a text from her that
declared

the race goes not to the swift
nor the strong
but he who endureth 
in the end

ecclesiastes 9:11

right now i'm in the race for my life
to make sure my future fits 
securely in my palm and snug
in my pocket 
pressed and panicked
each stroke of the clock would set me
off 
but reading that
from the wisest woman that i know
made me smile and i slowly
relaxed
fell back asleep

No comments: