Thursday, July 30, 2009

10 / 30 : she got a donk.

i didnt even plan on writing this poem today but hell.
BLACK MENNNNNNNNNNNNN. ugh!

she got a donk

july.30.2009.
textmessagefrom an oldflame:
11:05PM EST -
"ey, you should get yo titties done. 
then yo chest will be caught up with yo ass. 
just a thought"

when i was ten years old i was
a stick figure with a
donk
'a little package
hanging off my backside'
as my nana used to say
and by the time i was 12
i had to stop wearing leggings to school
the boys would run into their open lockers
peeking around the corner
late to class trying to scope out
my adolescent ass 
it got so bad that my gym coach 
had to pull me aside and suggest
i try some less form fitting fabric

but when i became a cheerleader
hell broke loose at summit parkway middle
none of the boys were watching the game
when i bent over to drink from my water bottle
i was thirsty as hell
and so were they
parched ass little tweens and teens
trying to get a bite of my backside

one day my dad and  i went to the store
i wore a skort, innocent enough
age 13, couldn't even fill an A-cup 
the bag boy dropped the peaches
on the floor because he was too busy
trying to bag me
my dad shook the shit out of him
and on the ride home he told me 
that i will be wearing potato sacks
for the rest of his life
or he will castrate every nigga in a 10 mile radius

he came pretty damn close

by the time i moved to memphis
home of the infamous drive by,
roll down the window, and holla
i was stopping traffic on s. perkins and poplar
rims kept spinnin but cars full of niggas
stopped in midday traffic
asking me whats up with that 'gusha'
a phrase i was not at all familiar with
and i still don't respond to 
the hoes that hated me were jealous
making rumors that i poked it out intentionally
mad at the fact that their shit was sagging
front back side to side

high school was treacherous because
my ass made me a walking advertisement
for a free fuck apparently niggas came at me
at my locker all kind of ways, speaking reckless
sometimes not even talking at all
just pinching my ass when i wasn't looking
running off and slapping their niggas high five
oddly enough my friends were jealous
being objectified was what was good in midtown memphis
and everybody wanted a piece of this ass
literally. sort of.

but i would come home and cry 
stand in the mirror concaving my spine
looking like a chocolate crescent moon
to make my ass less noticeable
that's not the attention that the new girl in town
wanted

and by the time i was 16, 17, 18
it didn't even phase me when i would walk by
and a nigga would drop his girlfriend's hand
trying to check up on it 
and when they called me, they never called to
ask about me
they wanted to speak to my ass
which, unfortunately, can't speak for itself

i'm old enough now to finally
appreciate my backside
when she got a donk comes on in the club
im the first girl on the floor gettin it poppin
and yes, i do it the best
i take this being thick shit seriously
no nigga is going to objectify me without my consent
so i take the texts and the catcalls in stride
these lames have been trying to get a good grip
of my hips
for years
but they always come up
empty handed 


4 comments:

Stitch said...

funny
but i dont know
not what i expected
nevertheless good poem

ashley rhae. said...

funny YESSSS

Livingtolearn said...

I really liked it. As a possessor of a "donk" myself (lol), I found this true and fun to read.

ashley rhae. said...

thank you ma'am!