Sunday, July 26, 2009

6 / 30 : honesty box.

it's sunday. sundays are chill at my house.
the days have been so pretty. it doesn't feel like july.
i'm sure nashville has something in store for me.
i've been enjoying way too much pleasant weather. 
anyway---

honesty box

no idea why, but my honesty box
must have a digital, neon
"please talk shit here" sign 
because i have been getting
worked over
all summer long.
which sucks.

but today, i opened my box up
with the usual dread
brows knotted, eyes squinted,
my standard brace-for-impact face
to find a lone message 
blue background
from a boy
saying:

you are so sweet.
why do you pretend
to be so tough?

i just sort of sat there
sight blurred and unfocused
as fat tears hit my keyboard
how did someone so 
assumingly anonymous 
see what's behind the mask

i really didn't have any 
elaborate explanation as to why
i don the crown of an ice queen
when i'm feeling vulnerable

there was nothing poetic to 
say so
i typed back a most deliberate
response:

i don't know.

he still hasn't responded,
hours later.
i guess my answer 
sufficed


2 comments:

Stitch said...

i like this
simple
but effective

ashley rhae. said...

i still hate you,
s
c
.