Friday, August 07, 2009

18 / 30 : blood work.

today was a remarkably average day. i just just fill out "Today" on that mylifeisaverage.com site.
whatever. poem.

blood work

the human body is crazy
its weird  that you can stick me
with a little needle and come back
with a vial full of crimson blood
and that's all you need
to tell a fairly comprehensive story
of what's going on with my body.
fairly.

because if my blood work was really 
really accurate, it could not only
tell me that my kidneys are functioning
at a normal level, but that i am having trouble
deciding what pair of skinny jeans to buy
and i would be reassured that not only 
my T cells are of an acceptable count, 
but that my crippling fears over the 
LSAT are in vain and if 
it was beyond thorough
i would know not only that my heart's
beat is regular except
when i'm around him and his smile 
which causes me to get off sync

but we don't want to know the cold
honest truth 
about blood work or boyfriends
in a cold white room from
an old white man carrying a clipboard
and while its not healthier
its much easier to keep pushing these
thoughts away we'll reschedule that
missed appointment sooner or
later

No comments: